Home » Essay
Category Archives: Essay
The differences between a narrative and descriptive writing are many. They are the following.
- A narrative is a story while a descriptive writing or a descriptive essay is an explanatory scheme. A story is told by a story teller who need not have all the facts about the characters in a story. Much different is that in descriptive writing, the writer must vividly give all the facts and information about the subject.
- In narrative writing, the writer successfully give the plot of the story in a chronological order while in the descriptive writing, the writer give the exhaustive details of the place, person or the thing.it is through this that the reader, or the audience of the descriptive writing is able to visualize the information given.in this way, the reader is able to create a mental picture of the situation.
- In narrative writing, there is a sequential flow of events. One events leads to the other and they are therefore connected on a cause-effect perspective. While one thing leads to another, the case is different in descriptive writing since there is no logical connectivity of whatever is being described. The situation, thing person or place is described at the likeness of the writer. The readers cannot establish any illogical arrangement because there is nothing that is leading to each other.
- Narrative writing involves creativity and imagination and fantasizing whereas descriptive involves giving details that are relatively stable and in some sense is in line with the reality. The difference here is that in descriptive writing, less imagination is involved hence less creativity.
- In descriptive writing, the writers involve the characters observed by the five senses of the body while in narrative, the writers use personal experiences and tells it in a story form.
An analytical essay gives detailed information about certain topics or a certain area of research. As the title of the essay suggests, an analytical essay exhaustively analyses some texts giving all the relevant details that are consistent and compatible with writers and readers ideologies. The introduction to the analytical essay should be very technical in the sense that it should send the light to the reader. The reader should know the content of your essay or the direction of your thoughts immediately after reading the introductory paragraph. The following therefore should reflect when writing an introduction to an analytical essay.
- Capture the attention of the readers. The introduction to the analytical essay should be very interesting. Actually, it should be captivating. The reader should be appealed to their senses that what you have written in your essay is valuable and that it is worth the time and hence the attention of the reader. One should remember that what is contained in the analytical essay is information that is important in some perspectives of life, whether social, cultural, political or economic. This introductory paragraph is referred to as the hook. It surprisingly binds the reader to the essay.
- Write a good thesis statement. The thesis statement should appear in the introductory bit of the analytical essay. Through this, the reader is able to know the topic of the analytical essay. Writer, in most cases, declares their inclination in relation to the topic that the analytical essay is grounded on. A good thesis statement is a key foundation to the success of an analytical essay.
- In the introduction of an analytical essay, the writer should give the tips on the general development of the entire essay.
In fact, the basic aim of the introduction to an analytical essay is to hold and tie the reader to the context of the essay as well as giving the reader the hints to the content of the essay.
The summary of an essay comprises only the most important issues, themes and the agendas that were found to be of great importance in such an essay or an article. Basically, this means the summary gives only the fundamental details in a brief, clear and simple language. In order to be able to write a good summary of an essay, there are some tips that are important.
Tips on how to summarize an essay
- Read the particular essay severally so as to get the main subject which the writer wanted to communicate to the readers. It is through this that you will be able to know the important information and the least important.
- In writing summary of an essay, you should not include your own opinion. Never use the first person “I”.
- Always give the full name of the author of the particular essay or an article. Also give the full title of the essay in the introduction paragraph, preferably in the first or in the second sentence.
- After introducing the author’s full name, always refer to them with their last name throughout the summary. The last name is always the surname.
- You should always use the present tense in the discussion of your essay as you give the facts and evidences that prevails in the entire essay or an article.
- Always paraphrase or use direct quotes when you are supporting your claim. Paraphrasing should be more detailed than quotes but it should not be redundant. However, quoting is not advisable and should only be done to the languages that are hard to understand.
- The title of an essay or an article should always be capitalized whenever a summary of the same is being written.
The above tips are pivotal in writing an excellent summary.